Here at The Company Lab, we think it’s safe to say that Demo Day 2013 exceeded our highest expectations.
Tuesday’s day-long event was a huge success, and it drew hundreds of investors, partners, community leaders and members of the press to the Gig City. From fascinating panel discussions with seasoned entrepreneurs and industry specialists to groundbreaking demos from local and national partners, it was an incredible day.
But without a doubt, our startups stole the show. Over the course of the summer they turned infant startups and early-stage concepts into viable businesses, ready to go to market and become part of the fabric of our connected world.
Below, check out recaps and roundups of press links from Demo Day celebrations:
- Seven teams, supported by GIGTANK specialists, pitched to more than 100 investors. The startups span a range of industries, including health, retail, technology and manufacturing. With sound business models, strong management teams and committed customers, the teams made convincing pitches with specific asks for capital. Now, they’ve officially qualified for The TENN, a startup roadshow, which will kick off in the coming weeks.
- On Monday evening, members from the Thiel Fellowship’s Under 20 Community made some special presentations and a big announcement at the Chattanooga Theatre Centre.
- U.S. Ignite, a White House-sponsored initiative that focuses on ultra-high speed broadband, held a board meeting in Chattanooga on Monday. Attending leaders visited Demo Day, including Bill Wallace, CEO of U.S. Ignite, who said that Chattanooga is “running circles around Silicon Valley.”
- Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet, spoke at Demo Day, praising Chattanooga’s innovative and entrepreneurial spirit. He shared some valuable — and entertaining — lessons from his long and eventful career. Check out Nooga’s article for Metcalfe’s words of wisdom.
- Lucid Streaming, a collaborative, interactive performance piece by Tim Hinck, was created specifically for Demo Day with artistic direction by Tim Hinck and technical production by Engage 3D. Watch the performance here.
Read more stories and check out media clips below:
- WDEF: Entrants and Shark-Tank Style Investors Prepare for GigTank Demo Day
- Nooga: GIGTANK Participants Pitch at Demo Day
- News Channel 9: GIGTANK Demo Day in Chattanooga
- Times Free Press: City, Meet Your Future
- Tech: GIGTANK Holds Demo Day for Seven Startups
- Blog Talk Radio: Why Every Gig City Needs GIGTANK
- Pacific Standard: Lena Dunham Wants Brooklyn to be Chattanooga
- Chattanoogan: GIGTANK’s 2013 Demo Day Features Real Businesses for a Connected City
- Facebook: Flip through our album for photos
Check back next week for more Demo Day stories and details!