Will This Float? celebrates the diversity of the creative and entrepreneurial spirit across the Chattanooga region by showcasing up-and-coming innovators as they pitch their ideas! Join us for good food, drinks, great company, and innovative startup ideas.
Finalists get the stage for three minutes to tell the world (including startup investors, mentors, and potential team members) why their concept is awesome. The fast-paced pitch event is the first moment in the limelight for new startup ideas around Chattanooga.
Tuesday 6–9 pm | November 19, 2013
CHATTANOOGA PUBLIC LIBRARY
WHO IS IT FOR?
This event is open to anyone interested in becoming a part of our region's startup community. If you enjoy hearing new startup ideas and meeting other creative and startup-minded people, or if you are interested in joining, mentoring, or investing in a startup team, you need to come.GET TICKETS
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Submissions will be narrowed to the top contenders, who will present their startup concept in five minutes or less at the pitch event. We use a combination of feedback from our panel of judges as well as crowdsourced voting to determine which idea "FLOATs" best. (See criteria below.)
The Company Lab will award prizes based on feedback from a panel of judges as well as crowd-sourced voting. The first place winner will receive:
- $300 cash
- 10 hours accounting services with Henderson, Hutcherson & McCullough
- 10 hours legal services with Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel
What does it mean to FLOAT?
We are most interested in ideas in line with the following FLOAT criteria:
- Few direct competitors (Is this a novel idea?)
- Low adoption/switching costs (Will customers use this?)
- On-time entry to market (Is the window of opportunity open? )
- Addresses unfilled need or want (Does this solve a real problem?)
- Target market is identified and large (Who are the customers?)
Who should apply to pitch?
We're looking for business ideas from all kinds of sectors:
- consumer products
- social entrepreneurship
- local food economy
- artists and creatives
- entrepreneurs serving
- disadvantaged communities and neighborhoods
- the outdoor industry
- environmental sustainability
- corporate spinoffs
- student entrepreneurs